Friday, 18 July 2014

Hello again. 
I am back with Surprise Surprise!!! yet another hack of New Look 6123.
I guess I'm a bit of a lazy sewer. 
Well more of a lazy fitter, once I get a pattern fitting well I tend to make a few versions (or in this case alot of versions) so I can avoid the hassle of fitting again for a while.
I originally set out to copy this dress that I had seen on pinterest

I really liked the neckline pleats. So I took the front bodice piece from NL6123 which has waist and bust darts. To recreate the pleats on my Pinterest dress, I drew lines from the bust point up to where I wanted the pleats to fall at the neckline.Then I did a bit of slashing and spreading. I closed the darts at the waist and took some of the width out of the bust darts, which allowed the slashes towards the neckline to open up.
After a bit of trial and error on paper , I was able to work out how I wanted the pleats to form.


So when I headed to my sewing room to start this I realised that the blue crepe I had selected for this was an excellent match for a remnant of cotton sateen from Fabric Godmother. Happy accident. 
I decided to shortened the bodice and make a waistband. 

 





I love how this dress turned out, it is quite dressy and I wore it to my niece's christening where I had Godmother duties to fulfil!
Here a photo of me in my frock taken by my sister who was barking commands "No, No, No this way" "Suck it in" "Bend your leg!" Ha Sisters :)

In other news, I have signed up for Handmade Jane's OWOP challenge. Bet you can't work out what pattern I will be using.
See you all later 

Post a Comment